8 Dried black mushrooms
16 Dried cloud ear mushrooms
Boiling water as needed
2.5 L Chicken stock
250 g Lean pork, cut julienne
180 g Bamboo shoots, cut julienne 80 g Soy sauce
10 mL White pepper
120 mL Cornstarch
250 mL Cold water
90 mL Rice vinegar
10 mL Oriental sesame oil
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 Scallion, sliced thin
30 mL Cilantro, chopped
1. Place the two types of dried mushrooms in separate
bowls. Add enough boiling water to each to cover the
mushrooms. Let stand until the mushrooms are soft.
2. Drain the mushrooms, squeezing them lightly. Reserve the soaking liquid. 3. Cut off and discard the stems from the black mushrooms. Cut the caps into thin strips.
4. Cut off any coarse, woody stems from the cloud ear mushrooms. Cut the mushrooms into 1-cm pieces.
5. Combine the stock and the mushroom liquid in a saucepot. Bring to a boil.
6. Add the mushrooms, pork, bamboo shoots, soy sauce, and white pepper.
7. Simmer 3 minutes.
8. Mix the cornstarch with the water until smooth.
9. Add the cornstarch mixture to the simmering soup, stirring constantly.
10. Simmer until the soup is lightly thickened.
11. Add the vinegar and sesame oil to the soup.
12. Slowly drizzle in the beaten egg, stirring slowly but constantly, so that the egg coagulates in thin shreds.
13. Top each portion with a few slices of scallion and a pinch of chopped cilantro.
**This recipe was originally published in our Winter 2017 issue. It was provided with thanks from Dimitra Konstantakou.**