Last week General Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff, announced additions made to the initial list of Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) General and Flag Officer senior appointments, promotions, and retirements occurring in 2018.
“It is my privilege to congratulate the newest General Officers and Flag Officers of the Canadian Armed Forces, and members promoted within those ranks. For those of you assuming new responsibilities and greater leadership roles, I expect that you continue to serve with honour and uphold your commitment to your Service, the CAF, and your country,” said Vance in a press release issued June 29. “For those moving on to new experiences, I offer my deepest appreciation for your exemplary and dedicated services and extend the gratitude of all Canadians to you and your families. All the best in your next chapter.”
These officers lead the CAF in defending our country’s values and interests, at home and abroad.
Promotions and appointments resulting from retirements are as follows:
· Brigadier-General J.B. Ploughman will retire from service, resulting in the following promotions and appointments:
• Brigadier-General G.R. Smith will be appointed Assistant Chief of Staff J5 at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) in Casteau, Belgium, replacing Brigadier-General J.B. Ploughman.
• Colonel D.O. (Darlene) Quinn will be promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed National Military Representative Europe in Casteau, Belgium, replacing Brigadier-General G.R. Smith.
· Brigadier-General K.L. Woiden will retire from service, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
• Brigadier-General D.B. Cochrane will be appointed Commander National Cadet and Junior Canadian Rangers Support Group at National Defence Headquarters (NDHQ) in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General K.L. Woiden.
· Brigadier-General S.A. Howden will retire from service, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
• Colonel A.R. Day will be promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed Director General Air Staff and Director General Air Reserve at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General S.A. Howden.
· Commodore R. Pumphrey will retire from service, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
• Captain (Navy) J.M. Hamilton will be promoted acting while so employed to the rank of Commodore and appointed Director General Defence Force Planning at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Commodore R. Pumphrey.
The following promotions and appointments result from new and continuing service requirements:
· Vice-Admiral M.A.G. Norman will be appointed to a supernumerary position in the Office of the Chief of the Defence Staff, resulting in the following appointment:
• Lieutenant-General P.F. Wynnyk will be appointed Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Vice-Admiral M.A.G. Norman.
· Major-General W.D. Eyre was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-General into a new position at United Nations Command (UNC) and appointed Deputy Commander – UNC Korea, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
• Commodore H.C. Edmundson was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral and appointed Deputy Commander Military Personnel Command at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Major-General W.D. Eyre.
· Colonel C.R. Keiver was promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General and will deploy on Operation IMPACT (JTF-I), replacing Brigadier-General A.R. Jayne.
· Brigadier-General M. Thériault will be seconded to Rideau Hall, as Senior Military Assistant to Her Excellency the Governor General, in Ottawa, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
• Colonel J. Janzen will be promoted acting while so employed to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed Director General Public Affairs at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Brigadier-General M. Thériault.
· Commodore M.B. Mulkins will transition to Class A service with the Royal Canadian Navy, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
• Captain (Navy) S.E. Hopper will be promoted to the rank of Commodore and appointed Commander Naval Reserve at NDHQ in Ottawa, replacing Commodore M.B. Mulkins.
· Brigadier-General J.D.M. Robidoux will continue to serve in her current appointment as Deputy Chief of Reserves, resulting in the following promotion and appointment:
• Colonel C. Mercier will be promoted to the rank of Brigadier-General and appointed Deputy Commander 2 Canadian Air Division Joint Task Force (East) in Montreal, replacing Brigadier-General J.D.M. Robidoux.
The following acting-while-so-employed Commodores and Brigadier-Generals will receive promotions to their substantive rank:
· Commodore I. Carosielli
· Commodore J.A. Clarke
· Commodore C.S. Earl
· Commodore M.T.J. Kurtz
· Brigadier-General D.D. Basinger
· Brigadier-General J.A.S. Bernard
· Brigadier-General J.B.P. Carpentier
· Brigadier-General W.H. Fletcher
· Brigadier-General H.W.R. Goodyear
· Brigadier-General C.R. Keiver
· Brigadier-General M. Misener
· Brigadier-General P. Peyton
· Brigadier-General D.A. Quinn
· Brigadier-General M. Thériault
After distinguished service to Canada and the CAF, the following General and Flag Officers will retire in 2018:
· Commodore R. Pumphrey
· Brigadier-General J.B. Ploughman
· Brigadier-General K.L. Woiden
· Brigadier-General S.A. Howden